Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ezra's Hospital Stay.

Day 1:
Our poor little guy made a hospital tonight. He had been coughing a lot for the last 2 days and tonight after his bath his lungs were contracting. He was wheezing pretty bad and very short of breath. I didn't want to rush him to instant care just have them send us home so I took him over to my aunt's house. While she was looking at him I ran down to the store to get some cough medicine for Ez. While I was there she called me and said that I needed to get him to the doctor ASAP. My heart dropped. Our lil' dude is seriously sick and I didn't know it. When I got back my Dad and cousin Clint gave him a blessing. Me, Ezra, and my parents made it down to the instant care. We went straight back, no waiting, no check in. We were with the doctor within 5 mins of being in the building. He started Ezra on a breathing treatment in hopes to get his oxygen level up. No luck! So they sent us up here to the hospital. We stopped by our house picked up Dave and my parents stayed with Evey.

Ezra is pretty excited to stay at the hospital. They pretty much let him do what he wants, which kid wouldn't love it. When we got in they put him on oxygen and started another breathing treatment. 2 doctors came in gave us a quick run down of what is going to happen and what to expect. They are leaning towards Restricted Airway Disease (aka Asthma for kids.) Ez and I have been cuddling on his big bed as the nurses have been in and out doing tests, checking his vitals, and unfortunately they did do a blood draw. For a mom this was the worst part! Ez was so brave for the first poke, which they messed up. The second time he was a bit more hesitant (they also messed up.) So they had to send up specialist. The third time was a nightmare. I litteraly had to lay on top of him while one nurse held his arm down while the other nurse drew the blood. Ezra was pretty upset to say the least. I felt horrible! Anytime someone came in the room or touched him while he was sleepimg he'd start crying and saying; "Please don't poke me, I'm a good boy! Please don't I'll be good!" I've been crying a bit. My heart can't handle seeing my sweet boy go through that. He is such a sweet and sensitive kid. He'd do about anything just to make someone happy.
Day 2:
They did breathing treatments every 2 hours through the night. At about 10 they told us we are good to go. Well at least start the checking out processes. Ezra has what they call Restrictive Airway Disease. This is Asthma for kids, lots of times they grow out of it. We are hoping and praying that is his case.

They said that the inversion and being around shedding animals was probably the trigger for the attack. We were sent home with a nebulizar. This is for us to use for the next week and also to keep in case he has any other attacks. We are so grateful that Ez is home now and breathing well. He really is such an awesome kid. He does his treatments when we ask and loves telling everyone about his new fish mask.

We love you Ezra and are so happy to have you home happy and healthy!!!
Ez doing his thing with the nurses.
All the nurses loved Ez. He was quite the flirt.

Still ready to "Rock On!"
He always finds the good in everything.

Being his cute self. We really love this boy!

Ezra with his fish mask.

5 comments:

jlbunting.com said...

Oh, that sounds scary. I hated reading that you had to lay on him to get his blood drawn! I hope the breathing treatments keep everything under control. Good luck!

Zach said...

Having kids in the hospital is no fun. They never seem to be able to get the blood drawn on the first try. Hope you can stay away from there for a long time.

Lisa said...

How scary! Glad they made a diagnosis and you'll know how to treat it now. What a sweet little guy!

Julie M. said...

I'm so sorry!! Not fun at all. I'm glad he's feeling better and I hope it keeps getting better.

AngiDe said...

Whoa! What a scary experience! Poor Ezzie! I am glad to hear that he is ok and home and doing well. No fun at all.
We sure do miss you guys too! We havn't had any late nights since you guys were here :(

XO