Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chickens

Ezra's Chicken Dance




Our neighbors got chicks and our kids have been able to watch them grow over the last couple of weeks. They both love watching them and yes, chasing them. Seeing the kids with the chickens reminds me of growing up. We had chickens for as long as I can remember. I remember arguing with my sisters about who was going to trudge through the snow with a bucket of hot water to thaw the frozen water pail. We used to tag team feeding so that we didn't get pecked or chased by the rooster. One would scare the chickens out of the coop and block the hole while the other would fill the can lid with food. Oh the fights we had about who's turn it was to empty the slop bucket. Those were the good ol' days. As much as I will admit that raising chickens taught me how to work, to be grateful, to be in charge of another living thing, to understand where food comes, I don't think I'll ever get chickens. Well at least until my kids are old enough to carry a slop bucket and to scrape chicken poop off the stoop. I loved growing up the way I did. I am proud to say I know how to take care of chickens, cows, turtles, dogs, ducks, etc. I have so many great memories of growing up. I hope that I can teach my kids the same things I learned and to enjoy all aspects of life including work.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I totally didn't know any of that about you but I love that I do now! Hope you guys are doing well!!!